March 4, 2008

30 Days Using Aperture 2 (Day 1)

I've been wanting to do a post about Aperture 2 for almost a month now since it was announced. The day Aperture 2 was announced I ordered more RAM (Aperture 2 minimum RAM requirement is 1GB) and an external hard drive from an online retailer hoping to get the items in a week or so. Well, I just got the RAM and hard drive yesterday. They were back ordered on the external drive cases. I now have 2GB RAM (recommended) and a 250GB FW400 external drive on iMac G5 2.0 GHz. This is the system and setup I will be using for the next 30 days while using Aperture 2.

My Aperture 2 "test library" resides on the external drive so it doesn't affect my current image library or my system. I installed the software today and the process was quite simple and seamless. I have never used Aperture before so I decided to watch a couple of the tutorials on Apples website - "Exploring the Interface" and "Importing Basics". This was enough to get me familiar enough to create a new project and import 23 images into that project. So far things have been easy, but I'm sure that will change as I explore the software more.

Over the next 30 days I will be posting regularly on my experiences using Aperture 2. Since I am noob at using Aperture you'll be able to learn from my mistakes and probably get a good laugh at the stupid things I end up doing. If there is anything specific you want me to do or try with Aperture just let me know.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've just downloaded the trial version myself so I'll me watching you comments. One thing I've been trying to figure out is if AP2 can store it's library across >1 hard drive.

Pat